Effective Delegation Skills are a key component of any successful manager. Learn the principles of effective delegation with this short online delegation skills course.
DURATION | 20 MINUTES
Online Delegation Skills Course | Delegation is a process of entrusting a task or responsibility to a member of staff who is less senior to you. Effective delegation skills, enables managers can get more from their team by harnessing strengths, motivating and building skills.
Developing delegation skills, like all skills, first requires and understanding of the underlying principles. Once you understand the principles, practice in-line with the principles will lead to improvements.
- Key principles, processes and methods of delegation
- Identify appropriate delegation opportunities
- Positively engage with and delegate to others
- Maintaining control while delegating
- Enhance the job satisfaction and development of others
UNIT 1 | What is Delegation?
UNIT 2 | What are the Principles of Delegation?
UNIT 3 | How to Delegate
The Delegation Skills course certificate will be emailed on completion. This required achieve 80% or more in the final quiz. A separate posted version can be purchase here. The quiz can be retaken if required.
The certificate provides CPD credits, date and unique validation code.
Delegation Skills Course Includes
- Accelerated Learning | 30 minutes
- Self-paced, interactive content
- 12 months unlimited access to content
- PDF Certificate
- Zero Carbon Product
Why is it important to Delegate effectively?
You will have heard the maxim that a ‘Team is greater than the sum of its parts’. It is unlikely this will be achieve if responsibilities are simply shared evenly across a team. However if responsibilities are assigned to team members in such a way that they play to the strengths of each team member then you created a true ‘Team’ according to the maxim.
When delegation is done properly and for the right reason it also helps to foster a climate of trust within the workplace. And create improvement opportunities for your staff. Poor delegation on the other hand may cause frustration, de-motivate and confuse the other person which fails to achieve the task.
What are the 5 principles delegation?
- Trust – As a manager or supervisor trust is key. You must first have trust in a staff member before you can give them new responsibilities.
- Communication – Must to be successful and frequent in order that the task at hand is fully understood. Ask yourself if you just way what is needed and leave what questions would you be left with?
- Confidence – This is a 2-way street. If you as a manager have confidence in the process of delegation and it is done fairly this can instil confidence and motivation in your staff. Especially if they receive good feedback on a job well done.
- Flexibility – You need to be flexible where control is concern. Especially when you are stressed.
- Responsibility – Remember everything comes back to you. You must accept responsibility if something goes wrong. This is one of the main reasons why people hesitate to delegate.
Tips for Effective Delegation
In order for delegation to be successful you must have full trust in your staff to do the job.
First of all you need to define the task at hand. Confirm in your own mind that the task is suitable to be delegated. Does it meet the criteria for delegating?
Next, you need to select a team member for the job and you will need to ensure that you get the right person for the job because they are your responsibility. Ask yourself what are your reasons for delegating to this person? Do they have what it takes to do the job well?
When you are assigning them to the task you will also need to assess their abilities and their training needs. Because you are taking a risk with delegating the task, you need to ensure that the person you choose is capable of doing the task.
Finally, you will need to explain your reasons for assigning them to the task. Explain to them why the job or responsibility is being delegated and its importance and relevance? This helps the staff member understand where the project fits in the overall scheme of things and helps to give them a sense of responsibility.
Email: [email protected] | Tel: +44 (0) 131 661 8253