First Aid at Work
First Aid at Work course online providing the knowledge needed to respond appropriately to a range of workplace emergencies. Duration 60 minutes, CPD-Accredited.
FIRST AID AT WORK COURSE
First Aid at Work online course provides the knowledge needed to respond to a wide range of medical emergencies that may occur in the workplace. Helping to ensure the safety and well-being of employees and visitors while meeting regulatory and legal requirements for workplace safety.
UK First Aid Regulations 1981 require every business to provide appropriate first aid to employees that become injured or ill at work.
Because appropriate first aid can reduce the impact of injury or illness at work.
The online First Aid at Work course learning objectives include:
First Aid Surveys, how to evaluate the situation when first encountering a victim.
Life-saving Techniques, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for adults, and how to use automated external defibrillators (AEDs).
Medical Emergencies, manage common workplace medical emergencies, such as heart attacks, strokes, and diabetic emergencies.
Injury Assessment, how to assess and provide first aid for common workplace injuries such as cuts, burns, fractures, and sprains.
Choking Response, how to recognise and respond to choking incidents.
Bleeding Control, control severe bleeding and preventing shock.
Poisoning and Chemical Exposure, awareness of potential workplace hazards, such as chemical exposure and poisoning, and how to respond.
Legal Considerations, ensuring that first-aid supplies are readily available.
UNIT 1 | INTRODUCTION
This first unit introduces the learner to the benefits of first aid training at work and the applicable legislation.
UNIT 2 | SURVEYS
Next, we look at first response in case of a medical emergency. This includes the vital importance of evaluating that the environment is safe before proceeding, and how to conduct primary and secondary surveys.
UNIT 3 | LIFE-THREATENING EMERGENCIES
The primary survey may identify a life-threatening condition. Here we detail the actions to take. The course covers responses in the event of Cardiac Arrest, Heart Attack, Stroke, External Bleeding and Shock.
UNIT 4 | NON-LIFE-THREATENING EMERGENCIES
This unit outlines what steps should be taken following a secondary survey. We cover a range of workplace injuries and illness. These include Fractures, Sprain, Unconscious Patient, Burns, Poisoning, Electrical Injuries, Seizures, Allergic Reactions and Diabetes.
UNIT 5 | WORKPLACE BEST PRACTICE
It may seem obvious but covering the basics helps to build confidence. So, in this unit we provide a reminder of best practice when calling the emergency services. We also briefly cover RIDDOR and how to support a return to work following injury or illness.
UNIT 6 | QUIZ
Finally, you progress to the 15 question multiple choice quiz.
CERTIFICATE & ACCREDITATION
At the end of the First Aid at Work online course is a short assessment. If learners demonstrate their understanding of course content by achieving a minimum score of 80%, we’ll email them their first aid certificate.
If learners score less than 80%, they can revisit any part of the course and retake the quiz until they are successful. A posted certificate is available separately.
The online First Aid at Work certificate is valid for 3 years.
IS AN ONLINE FAW COURSE 'APPROPRIATE'?
You should check with your employer if you are in doubt as to whether this course is appropriate for your job role.
Employers have a duty to provide employees with appropriate training. This starts with undertaking a First Aid Needs Assessment to determine the correct training for any give job role.
If you are a contractor working for a bigger organisation, you need to check first with ‘duty holder’ whether an online First Aid at Work course is appropriate for their working environment.
Situations where an online First Aid at Work course may be appropriate can include.
- Small low-risk businesses employing under 25 staff
- For remote workers or small remote teams
- For every employee in higher-risk business
- As part of a ‘blended’ training programme which includes face-to-face practice
- As an annual refresher for First Aiders
- For the person appointed to manage first aid arrangements
The Health & Safety Executive recommends that a qualified, First Aid at Work first-aider should undergo an 18-hour face-to-face course.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This first aid at work online course is designed for;
- The ‘appointed person’ in low-hazard workplaces employing fewer than 25 staff.
- The ‘appointed person’ in higher hazard workplaces employing fewer than 5 staff.
- The online element of a ‘blended’ first-aider qualification.
- As an annual refresher course for 18-hour FAW qualified first-aiders. (Annual refresher training is not mandatory but is ‘strongly recommended’ but the HSE.)
- Remote workers and employees working in small satellite teams.
- All staff in ‘higher hazard’ business for example engineering, construction, warehousing and food or drink processing.
- Memorable, motion-graphic content
- Study anywhere with an internet connection
- Clear enrolment and reporting dashboard
- Licenses purchase remain until used
- Verifiable, CPD-accredited certificate
- Carbon neutral training solution
What are first aid legal requirements?
The law defining employer duties is the First-Aid Regulations 1981.
First-Aid regulations require “employers to provide adequate and appropriate equipment, facilities and personnel to ensure their employees receive immediate attention if they are injured or taken ill at work.”
To achieve this, it is recommended that every business.
- Completes a first aid needs assessment.
- Has an appropriately stocked first aid kit.
- Appoints someone to maintain first aid arrangements.
- Communicate arrangements to staff
- Provide appropriate first aid training to staff.
- Report workplace injuries the lead to an employee missing over 7 days from work (RIDDOR).
HEART ATTACK OR CARDIAC ARREST?
IMPORTANCE OF FIRST AID TRAINING
Recent research shows only 5%, or 1 in 20, adults have the confidence to provide first aid in emergency situations. This First Aid at Work online course gives staff the knowledge and confidence to stay calm and provide the right care or treatment in an emergency.
Even a basic knowledge of first aid can enable a lifesaving intervention.