This online COSHH training course provides an understanding of COSHH regulations so a safe and compliant working environment can be created.
DURATION | 45 minutes
ONLINE COSHH COURSE
This online COSHH course provides and understand of how to comply with COSHH regulations. COSHH is short for the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health. Any substance that can cause harm to human health is covered under COSHH regulations.
500 substances(1) have been designated with ‘Workplace Exposure Limits’. But any substance that can cause harm to humans is covered under COSHH. Even very common substances like paint and dust.
So, in every workplace where hazardous substances exist COSHH regulations(2) apply. This means employers have extra responsibilities to ensure workplaces remain safe.
Our online COSHH course is used many industries, in place of traditional classroom training to provide a general understanding of COSHH requirements.
- Common Hazardous Substances
- Identifying Hazardous Substances
- How to protect yourself
- Protecting others
- Undertake a COSHH assessment
COSHH COURSE CONTENT
UNIT 1 | Hazardous Substances and the Law
In this first unit we explain what hazardous substances are, before defining COSHH and looking at the legislation around it. The UNIT headers are:
- Hazardous Substances
- Definition of COSHH
- What COSHH covers
- Health & Safety ACT 1974
- Employer Responsibilities
- Employee Responsibilities
- Hazard Symbols
- Hazard Precautionary Statements
- Identifying Substances
- Material Safety Data Sheets
UNIT 2 | Health Risks
In this second unit, we explore the health risks when working with and near hazardous substances, and the steps you can take to protect yourself and others. The UNIT headers are;
- Exposure to Hazardous Substances
- Health Risks
- Health Conditions
- General Ill-health
UNIT 3 | Working Safely with Hazardous Substances
In this final unit, we look at employer and employee responsibilities when working with hazardous substances, including how to store and dispose of them safely. We also look at how to respond to an accidental spill. The UNIT headers are:
- Risk Assessment
- Hierarchy of Control Measures
- What Can you Do?
- Read Labels
- Personal Hygiene
- Good Housekeeping
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Safe Storage
- Disposal of Spent Materials
- Medical Emergency
UNIT 4 | Quiz
This course is ideal for managers and supervisors working where hazardous substances are present.
Some examples of the industries who must consider COSHH regulations include:
- Cleaners – (cleaning materials can cause localised burns and skin complaints)
- Hairdressers – (a number of hairdressing products can damage their skin)
- Construction workers – we have a dedicated COSHH for Construction course. Working where Asbestos could be present requires specific awareness training.
- Painters – some paints can cause skin and lung damage
- Bakery workers – flour and bakery dust can cause irritation of eyes and nose, skin problems and asthma
- Garage workers – paints, solvents, oils and grease, and exposure to exhaust fumes can all damage their health
- Healthcare staff – exposure to biological agents can cause infection.
- Laboratory workers – exposed to chemicals, biological agents and flammable substances.
Achieve over 80% in the final quiz and learner are emailed PDF completion certificate. The final quiz can be retaken if required.
The COSHH certificate is valid for 3 years.
- Study anywhere with an internet connection
- Complies with regulations
- CPD-accredited certificate
- Access on phones, tablets and desktop
- Carbon neutral product
WHY TAKE THE COSHH COURSE?
Every year, thousands of workers are made ill by hazardous substances, contracting lung disease such as asthma, cancer and skin disease such as dermatitis. You are probably aware of hazardous substances that are used in your workplace. Or are created as a consequence of work activities for example welding fumes or quarry dust.
COSHH Regulations require employers to assess the risk to their employees, and to prevent or adequately control those risks. This online COSHH course is meant as part of a range of measures to help prevent risks by providing the knowledge needed to recognise hazards and respond appropriately.
E: [email protected] | T: (+44) 0131 661 8253